The Azerbaijani Ministry of Emergencies has warned the population to exercise caution when dealing with home heating system " />

More than 45 people poisoned by carbon monoxide in Azerbaijan in November, no fatalities

The Azerbaijani Ministry of Emergencies has warned the population to exercise caution when dealing with home heating system

In November 2019, at least 45 residents of Azerbaijan received carbon monoxide poison due to malfunctions or other issues with home heating systems. Some of the victims were children, however there were no fatalities. 

With the onset of cold weather, such poisonings in Azerbaijan occur regularly from year to year.

• A brick, a cat and other means of heating up an apartment in Baku

• Yerevan’s dangerous and crumbling makeshift homes

The Ministry of Emergency Situations (MES) warns citizens to be very careful and follow safety measures. 

What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas formed during the incomplete combustion of fossil fuels. It is very dangerous for humans, can lead to severe poisoning or even kill.

Why do these incidents occur?

Most houses and apartments in Azerbaijan do not have a centralized hot water supply. Water is often heated with gas heaters, which are installed in the bathroom or in the kitchen.

Also, gas heaters often heat apartments.

If the heaters are faulty or there is a lack of proper ventilation, carbon monoxide can enter the room.

The Ministry of Emergency Situations periodically checks the condition of gas heaters in homes and whether safety measures are followed.  But, on the one hand, inspectors are sometimes not too zealous. And on the other hand, some apartment owners oppose their advice. So, for example, in order to ensure normal ventilation of the bathroom, sometimes you need to drill holes in  the door, and many do not want to do this.

Main signs of carbon monoxide poisoning:  

  • Head ache 
  • Dizziness
  • Quickened heart rate 
  • Nausea / vomiting 
  • Fainting or loss of consciousness 

Basic Precautions:

  • monitor the condition of gas heaters, as well as wood stoves and fireplaces;
  • do not leave heating appliances unattended;
  • monitor the ventilation of the room where the heater is located;
  • regularly clean chimneys.
  • install smoke and CO detectors 

 In case of poisoning the victim must be pulled out into the air and an ambulance called. 


More on JAMnews