Georgian drivers to have 100-point driver license from 1 July
A 100-point driver license system has already been approved. The relevant bill on the legislative amendment has passed its third reading in Georgian Parliament.
The aforesaid implies that, starting from 1 July, Georgian drivers will have to get accustomed to the new rules.
Each driver will be assigned 100 points, from which points will be deducted for every traffic rule violation. A driver who has squandered all 100 points, will have his license revoked and will have to re-take their driver license test.
How many points will be subtracted for each particular violation:
- Driving while under the influence of alcohol – 30 points (if committed repeatedly in a year – 40 points);
- Purposeful transfer of a vehicle to a person under the influence of drugs – 40 points;
- Front seat passengers’ failure to fasten their seat belts – 5 points;
- Using a mobile phone when driving – 15 points;
- Failure to wear a helmet when riding a scooter/motorcycle – 5 points;
- Driving a vehicle with a faulty brake system/steering wheel/headlights – 5 points;
- Driving a vehicle with emissions exceeding the maximum permissible norm – 10 points;
- Driving an arbitrarily altered vehicle – 10 points;
- Driving with an inappropriate subcategory drivers license – 15 points;
- Driving a vehicle with blacked-out windows – 55 points (if committed for the second time within a year – 10 points; for a third time – 15 points);
- Violation of traffic rules when driving, resulting in minor bodily injuries or damage to a vehicle or infrastructure – 20 points;
- Use of beacon lights and sirens, as well as installation of special loudspeakers – 15 points (the same action repeatedly committed during a year – 20 points);
- Hampering escort vehicle movement – 10 points;
- Hampering ambulances/rescue vehicles/fire-truck movement – 20 points (the same action resulting in minor bodily injuries or damage to a vehicle/infrastructure – 40 points);
- Vehicle transfer to an underage person or a person who either doesn’t possess or has been revoked a driver license for some other violation – 15 points. The same action resulting in minor bodily injuries or damage to a vehicle/infrastructure – 25 points (if repeatedly committed during a year – 30 points):
- Knowingly driving without a number plate or a change/alteration to a number plate – 10 points; knowingly driving a vehicle with another person’s number plate or obscured state number plate – 30 points;
- A driver leaving a road accident scene who is involved in the accident or relocation of the vehicle involved in a road accident – 15 points;
- Non-compliance with a police officer’s order to stop the vehicle – 20 points;
- Exceeding the permissible speed limit by more than 15 km/h– 10 points;
- Exceeding the speed limit by a person transporting a passenger – 25 points;
- Exceeding speed limits by more than 15km/h, which has resulted in an accident or hampered traffic – 30 points;
- Any aforesaid offence that has resulted in minor damage to a vehicle, cargo, road, road facilities or other structures, to any other property, or caused minor bodily injuries – 40 points;
- Violation of pedestrian-related traffic rules – 5 points (the same act repeatedly committed during a year-10 points);
- Violation of pedestrian-related traffic rules that has resulted in an accident – 20 points;
- Violation of pedestrian-related traffic rules that has resulted in minor bodily injuries or property damage – 30 points;
- A group drive or motorcycle or other vehicle that hampers vehicle traffic or poses risk to traffic safety – 5 points;
- Crossing a median strip – 10 points (the same act repeatedly committed during the year – 20 points);
- Crossing a median strip and driving down a one-way in the wrong direction – 30 points.