USSR’s first atomic bomb was produced in Armenia
The document dated January 18, 1950, one of the CIA’s declassified documents that have been already available on the Internet, testifies to the fact that the first atomic bomb in the USSR was produced in Armenia.
It was completed in February 1949 and the first explosion too place on July 10, 1949, in the Eastern Ural. The British and U.S. intelligence first reported those explosions in September of the same year.
As Lragir.am reported, Lavrentiy Beria, the NKVD (The People’s Commissariat for Internal Affairs) chief, exercised control over the process of creation of the atomic bomb in the USSR. He was given a free hand on it by Joseph Stalin.
Political Bureau of the CPSU decided to create nuclear weapons and to use for this purpose the captive German scientists, as well as the classified data obtained from the United States and Canada. A plant, where the atomic bomb was assembled, was accommodated in six caves. It was built by German prisoners of war based on the German experts’ plan. Part of the equipment and machinery was ordered and produced at local factories and the rest was imported from Germany. The assembly began in 1947.
Transportation of uranium ore from the German Saxony Province and Czechoslovakia began in January 1948.
According to the CIA press service, 13million pages of documents have been declassified. Earlier, those documents were available only at the Maryland National Archives.