On April 22, Russians to approve mention of God in the constitution, among other amendments
The date when these amendments to the Russian constitution will be voted on has been announced as April 22.
What are the proposed amendments?
The following proposals attracted the most attention:
• The mention of God in the constitution within the phrase: “…preserving the memory of our ancestors, who passed on to us our ideals and faith in God…”
• Prohibiting “diminishing the significance of heroic deeds committed in defense of the Motherland”
• Prohibiting same-sex marriage, describing marriage as “a union between a man and a woman”
• Declaring children “property of the Russian Federation”
• Declaring the Russian people as the dominant constituent of the country
Elena Lukyanova, professor at the Higher School of Economics, specialist in constitutional law, stated her opinion:
“They ask me why I’m not discussing the new amendments. My answer is that there is nothing to discuss professionally. Either they are topics that are not subject to constitutional regulation, or strange declarations without any way to regulate or take responsibility for failure to comply. To put it quite mildly, these amendments in no way comply with the legal process of law formation. Why discuss it?”
Vladimir Pastukhov, political scientist and researcher at University College of London said:
“The main question is why do we need these constitutional amendments to a government which is practically openly recognizing its own autocracy as the ideal? We understand that Vladimir Putin can not allow the power to fall from his hands. And this behavior demonstrates that he is not planning to let that happen.”
Response on social media
The proposed constitutional amendments caused an uproar on social media.
“All these constitutional amendments are missing is a little grated apple mayo on top.”
“God should be mentioned in the constitution—in the phrase, ‘Thank God Russia is a secular state.’”
“They need to add to the constitution that vodka should always be 40 degrees and the hot water from the tap should be 60.”
“Marriage is a Soviet Union between a man and a woman.”