...but they did so in public, which is something people in Tskhinval do not tolerate.
JAMnews conducted a small poll on the the streets of Tskhinval. 19 people were asked the question: “Is it okay to kiss in public? Only one of the respondents said “yes. Everyone else found it absolutely unacceptable.
Watch the video to hear what they had to say.
– ‘Kissing on the lips in the streets is unacceptable. It is not a customary practice in our town. It is something we never see here.’
– ‘It offends me, in general, when I see people kissing in the street. I don’t want my child to see that.’
– ‘Maybe it is acceptable in somewhere else, in certain cities…When I first saw a couple kissing in the center of Moscow, it was like a porn movie for me.’
– ‘Even if I go to Russia, I know that people are kissing in the streets there, but I have been brought up to never kiss in public, not for any reason whatsoever.’
– ‘It is absolutely uncultured for Ossetians, since Ossetia is a somewhat of a high-minded country.’
– ‘It’s indecent behavior. Modesty has always been something that is appreciated in the Caucasus.’
– ‘That’s exactly the reason why it is called intimacy – it concerns just two people–a man and a woman. Otherwise, we may as well start having children in the street.’
– ‘Kissing on the lips in the street is something I can tolerate. I spent the majority of my studentship in Russia and everything we have that is good here comes from Russia.’
The opinions, expressed in this article convey the author’s views and terminology do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the editorial staff.
Published on 08.04.2016