12 cases of botulism, including one death, reported in Armenia in 2017
12 cases of severe food poisoning, botulism, were reported in Armenia in 2017. One of the poisoned individuals died – Armenian Health Ministry reported.
The residents of Armavir, Tavush, Ararat and Vayots Dzor got poisoned with homemade pickled cucumber, paprika and canned tomatoes.
Botulism is a severe food poisoning that affects nervous and vegetative systems. Clostridium botulinum, a soil-dwelling bacterium that produces this disease, gets on greens and vegetables. It develops in anaerobic conditions [without oxygen].
A high-pressure and temperature autoclave (1200-1300С) is one of the means that allows to effectively combat the disease excitant.
It’s important to know that food contaminated with botulinum toxin doesn’t change its taste, color or smell.
The disease symptoms can be manifested 2-3 hours after taking food or within 12 days. Symptoms observed in botulism-infected individuals include: nausea; vomiting; diarrhea or constipation; dizziness; dry mouth; vision, speech and breathing problems; double vision; dropping of eyelids, pupillary dilation; change of voice pitch; slow heart; cerebral hemorrhage.
The Ministry of Health reports that in order to prevent botulism, it is necessary to observe the rules as follows:
- avoid consumption of homemade canned products;
- freeze, dry or pickle products for preservation;
- subject homemade canned food to thermal treatment, i.e. boil it for 20-25 minutes, before eating
- don’t by homemade canned food at the market, from the people you don’t know
- in case the first symptoms develop, immediately consult a physician.