“Formula-1” side effects
“Formula-1” (F1) races will be held in Baku from June 17 till June 19. What does that mean for Bakuvians?
- New asphalt and the construction of grandstands along the boulevard.
- Rumors arose six months before the F1 that the entire boulevard would be closed and that people will be admitted only with tickets.
- All access ways to the sections of the city where the competition will be held are enclosed with steel mesh. The pedestrians are waving from a distance, notifying each other whether it is possible to bypass the barriers from this or that side.
- One will have to produce a passport to enter some central blocks of the city. You live in some other place? Go home.
- The roads in the center are bloked 4 days ahead of “Formula-1”.
- The authorities politely request people to stop driving cars for a week.
- There are new funny pictures and mocking Facebook statuses.
- And finally, the country’s citizens have a pleasant opportunity to buy a cheap ticket for AZN 140 (US $90), while the prices for tourists start from AZN 340!