The number of people who work in the tourism industry has increased by over a thousand
Official new statistics on the tourism industry in Azerbaijan look promising:
- Hotels in Azerbaijan received nearly one and a half times more guests than last year (42.9% more).
- Tourists spent an average of two nights in the country, twice as long as last year.
- More tourists went to the Gabala region where a new tourist complex was recently opened. Hotel occupancy there was 88%.
- Tourism income for the first half of the year was nearly 40% higher than for the same period last year.
- Ten thousand people are currently working in the tourism industry, 11.8% more than last year.
“The statistics showed interesting indicators by region. As it turns out, Gabala and Shahdag have actually turned into successful tourist attractions,” said expert-economist, Togrul Mashalli.
In the Gabala region and Shahdag national park (located in the North and North-West of Azerbaijan respectively), new tourist complexes have recently been built: several hotels, and ski resorts with artificial snow.
Data sourced from this article by Torgul Mashalli.